Friday, February 11, 2011

A Martha Stewart Adventure

Okay, so I'm NO Martha Stewart by any means, but I sure wish I had her talents (besides landing herself in jail--I can do without that).  I have watched her show several times over the past month and it amazes me at how much that lady knows how to do.  She cooks, she bakes (from scratch--not a box), she does crafty things.  Does that lady have ANYTHING that she CAN'T do?!?!?

Well, as dumb as this may sound, I'm trying to become a mini version of Martha Stewart.  Let me explain myself.  About a week ago, I found myself grieving because I felt that I am not good at anything.  I felt as if I had no traits that I could ever (or would ever want to) pass to my little girl (whenever that day comes).  I have always wanted to be an interactive mom someday, but I did not believe that I possessed any skills (or ones that I feel are good enough) to pass on to my kids.  I can't cook, I can't sew, I'm not crafty (even though I have tons of ideas).  So, what's a girl to do (besides whine to her husband)?  Well, I decided to become proactive in my whining (I know, I'm an adult and I shouldn't whine--I've been emotional lately, don't judge me).  I decided to start doing different things.

A few months ago, my mother-in-law had tried to teach me to crochet.  I was so excited about learning how to do it that I stayed up all night one time and worked on an afghan.  Well, as a beginner, I made a mistake while I was working on my afghan, and I gave up.  I made the assumption that because I made a mistake, I would not be able to crochet well.  That was not the case at all.

I have learned that even though I make mistakes (because I'm human), that I can't give up.  I've always had a motto that I say to myself when I feel like I'm going to fail at something.  I've always said, "I'd rather not attempt to do something and be thought lazy than to attempt and fail."  To me, self-confidence in myself has always been unavailable when I needed it because I never had it to begin with.  I have never really branched out and took risks before because I've always been afraid of failure.  I'm afraid people will think badly of me if I fail at something (even though I know I should not care).  So, here's where my Martha Stewart experience comes in.  I'm going to start trying different things (kind of like Martha does with all her expertise-she does a little bit of everything).

I have already taken up crocheting again, since I had given it up before.  Believe it or not, I'm pretty good at it.  I had my mother-in-law show me again how to crochet, and I have already started and completed one scarf and began another (all by myself) without any help.  I'm beginning to see that all it takes is perseverance to get things done.  Who cares if you're not good at it, all that matters is that you had the confidence, in the first place, to try.


This is my first scarf. :)

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...